Friday, November 23, 2007

Inform or Discuss

At 1:00 am. this morning I came up with the idea of creating a blog for our technology staff to inform our public about new technologies in libraries and/or to answer any tech questions within our scope of knowledge or collective experiences. Well, in my post-Thanksgiving stupor - it sounded like a good idea, so here goes...

For the past several weeks I've been hearing about Amazon.com' s new wireless Reading Device, the Kindle, and how it will or will not revive the struggling ebook world. I guess I'm going to have to wait a while to see it for myself - Amazon's Kindle has completely sold out at $399.00. Darn those early adopters.

What makes this device different from the old Rocket book and other ebook readers? The display is supposed to look and read like real paper; it's wireless - so connecting to a PC is not necessary; and it's supposed to have a long battery life. Amazon promises that there are 80,000+ titles available and that it has 100 current bestsellers and more new releases available for $9.99 a title.

Top newspapers (US & international), magazines, and blogs are also available by auto-delivery throughout the day. Is this too good to believe? I've placed a back order and will let you all know after our staff has had time to evaluate it.

1 comment:

Fred said...

I'm a little skeptical that a reader tied to a particular vendor like this can work. All those newspapers, for instance - couldn't just about any Internet device pick those up throught RSS feeds?
Seems optimistic to me. Then again, Apple seems to do pretty well with iTunes, so I could be wrong!