Thursday, November 29, 2007

PortableApps

I'm at risk of sounding like a shill for this application, because I've been telling everyone I know about it repeatedly. PortableApps.com is a piece of software you put on a flash drive. You can then choose from a healthy menu of applications to add to the package. After doing so, you can go to any computer and launch those applications directly from the flash drive!
Nothing gets installed on the host computer, so you don't have to worry about administrative rights and so on, and the available applications include many, like GIMP, Audacity, WinSCP and more, that aren't often found installed on computers but are extremely handy.
Even better, it's all free. No charges either for PortableApps or the accompanying open source software. As for space requirements, I have eight or nine programs in my suite, and it takes up less than 500 MB.


Powered by ScribeFire.

No comments: