Wednesday, December 19, 2007

Google Reader

In the library's computer classes about blogs, I've introduced people to the RSS aggregator Bloglines. It's a wonderful tool that gathers up all your blogs for you. I may be rethinking that choice of aggregator though after trying out Google Reader.
It's not that Bloglines is bad, mind -- actually it's quite a good tool. But Reader brings with it some of the interface slickness that defines Google. Adding new feeds is easier, discovering new blogs is much simpler, and there's a little more customization possible. Also, rather than the clippings folder used by Bloglines, Reader goes with a more unified approach. Simply "star" the entry you wish to keep and add some tags. Later, you can find it with a simple search. Finally, there are some rudimentary social networking functions built in. You can share entries with groups of friends and so on. I still have my beloved Bloglines account, but I have been finding myself visiting Reader much more often this week.


Powered by ScribeFire.

No comments: